MX23RW : Monday, August 15 09:37:02| >> :600:62795407:62795407:

Glastonbury 2021 branded "wishful thinking" by Michael Eavis

Glastonbury organiser Michael Eavis suggests that it may not be safe to stage the festival in 2021.

Glastonbury organiser Michael Eavis has cast doubt on whether the festival will be able to go ahead next summer.

The coronavirus pandemic meant that this year's event - a 50th-anniversary celebration - had to be cancelled, with ticket holders instead being guaranteed entry to the 2021 festival.

With no proven vaccine for COVID-19 yet available, cases of the disease are continuing to rise around the world and now Eavis has said that it still may not be safe to stage Glastonbury in 2021 either.

"500 people is OK isn't it? But my job, 250,000 altogether is too many people, I suppose, isn't it really?" the 84-year-old told ITV News West Country.

"I'm still hoping I'm going to be running next year and I'm going to be moving heaven and earth to make sure that we do.

"But that doesn't mean it will necessarily happen. That is just wishful thinking really."

Sir Paul McCartney, Taylor Swift, Kendrick Lamar and Pet Shop Boys were among the acts who had been due to perform at this year's festival.

ID:409042: cacheID:409042:1false2false3false:QQ:: from db desktop :LenBod:restore:2113:

Follow us on Twitter @SMEntsFeed and like us on Facebook for the latest entertainment news alerts.

Latest coronavirus PSA
Restore Data
Share this article now:
Jo Whiley in a promo for the BBC's Glastonbury 2019 coverage
Read Next:
BBC unveils alternative Glastonbury Experience
>